Saturday 22 November 2008

Play to the Music

Left 4 Dead finally found its way into my Steam account yesterday thanks to a free period last. And I can't say that I'm disappointed. In fact, I'm pretty pleased with it. One thing really did strike. The music.

Most multiplayer games either fail with music or don't bother including it. And you can see why. It's pointless when you don't know what's going to happen next, music would ruin the atmosphere. L4D is different. In fact, the music helps you. It makes you a better player.

You're sneaking through a derelict building. All is quiet, no gunfire. Only footsteps and the quiet eerie strings. You move forward, hoping no one is about. Suddenly, the music is changing, but still you see nothing. And then a bugle. And then a cry. The horde are coming.

You see, listening to audio cues can give you a subtle hint to what is about to rip you to pieces. But wait, isn't this like 'audiowallhacks'? No, not at all. The thing is, you don't notice them unless you are focused on the game, otherwise it's just more background music by some anonymous composer.

Onto my other recent purchase. Call of Duty: World at War. First things first, and I expect you all know this, it is the 'pre-sequel' to the most successful and some say best FPS ever (I don't think this personally, CS:S is god) CoD4.

WWII has been done to death, I will be the first to admit. From Wolfenstein to MoH to Company of Heroes, everyone has stormed Normandy or fought their way through war torn Belgium and France. It has almost become a cliche in the gaming world. Now set it all aside.

Controversy: CoD: WaW is the best WWII shooter of this and last generation. Take CoD4s atmosphere and take it back 60 years. The story might not be that engaging, but the moment you wake up in THAT fountain (play it and you know what I will mean), you really feel as close as you can get to that grim era.

The multiplayer is amazing. Yes in CoD4 I would get 10 kill streaks with a knife, but thats only because I'm a cheeky bastard. And that stun nades were over powered. But in this outing, two or three knife kills is more likely. It is balanced beautifully, the perk system is back with a vengeance and it sounds beautiful. Please, for the good of its developers, go buy this game.

Oh yes, a quick rant. FPS GAMES ARE MADE FOR MOUSE AND KEYBOARD. Today I saw my beloved TF2 being played by my brother on the Xbox. It. Is. A. Crime.

Pan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment